Wednesday, April 29, 2009

YARN STORE KETCHUP, Philly and Atlanta

I've been crazy busy seeing loads of amazing places all over the country. Here's a few of the fiber highlights.

   3 GREAT YARN SHOPS PHILLY.
          This is the first shop I visited. I walked by it twice without seeing it, which I couldn't believe. It is... like the title says... a cellar.  Nice shop packed with loads of skeins to please all. The staff was helpful, and obviously very passionate about their craft.  I'm sure I would frequent this shop.  It's a little cramped... but great for treasure hunting. I spent quite some time digging through their sale basket.  
      LOOP
            I'm so sad I wasn't able to spend more time in this shop.  It was very clean, bright and spacious.  I literally had 10 minutes tops to run through their shop, so my

 memory of what they have is fuzzy, but I did end up with a great little project bag by Blue Sky Alpacas, and some wonderful roving for felting.   This flower is one of the many flowers I've made from the roving bag I bought at loop. I loved the
 natural rustic color combo.
     NANGELLINI
             Two of the gals in my cast found this shop and recommend it, so I ran down between shows on our last day in town.  I am so glad I did.  It was crazy full of fiber and color.  The owner, Nancy, clearly had a zest for life and a passion for fiber. She excitedly took me up to the sale section of her shop, and then showed me how everything was organized. I don't know if I have ever encountered a more helpful yarn shop owner/employee.  Like I said, this shop was FILLED with color, some things that were a bit too bright for me, but I so appreciated the time and passion that went into the display.  My favorite part was a collection of yarns Nancy had paired and wound and was selling together.  I often mix 2 or more skeins, but I've never thought of having them wound together at a shop.  She sells pairings that she suggests, or will wind combos of your own.  Why have I never seen this at a shop?  Great idea!  I bought two of her combos and made one of my own.  I love them so

 much, I might not ever bring myself to knit or crochet them. I'm sure someday they'll tell me what they want to be. 

ONE GLORIOUS SHOP IN ATLANTA
          KNITCH
               Hands down.... THIS IS THE GREATEST YARN SHOP I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED! Just the building was enough to make me squeal. Exposed brick, rustic wood, and a spiral staircase leading from the first floor to the second floor. As you enter the gate, this lovely creature greats you. Then, a large pot of their own coffee brew welcomes you as you step into the shop.  The first floor was PACKED with all kinds of wool yarns. And, a nice little felting section with unspun fiber. (including lots died by local artists)  The second floor has cotton, acrylic, and a WALL OF WASHER/DRYERS for rent so you can satisfy all of your felting needs. What?  I don't have a washer/dryer in my apartment, and obviously don't have one on the road

. I've tried this whole felting in the bathtub thing and it's a messy pain the butt! A shop like this would be so amazing!    I ended up leaving with some super soft Blue Sky Cotton, and a shirt that makes me so happy.  I wanted to buy another for a friend, but it was the last of it's kind. I found it online at CafePress. I've already been approached by friends who think it's some sort of dietary yoga message.  I know those who really get what I get, will get it too. 

    Visiting these yarn shops around the country has made me so happy. It is so inspiring to see so many places around the country that are thriving and bringing wooly goodness to their community's.   I really hope that some day, I can do the same. 



****One Non-Yarn bit of joy*****   
    I also went to the shop at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design).  I found this ridiculously soft skirt by Vanessa Boulton.
don't be surprised if I wear it every day!

2 comments:

JEB said...

Good golly, Miss Molly, if my blog makes you 1/10 as excited about esoteric bible study as your blog makes me about yarn, well, then, mission accomplished!
XO

Molly Made said...

Hahahaha... Are you going to help Kelly with the baby blankets? I already love esoteric bible conversation... I do need to work on the study part. I should start watching your vids while knitting.